Deloitte’s 2019 US Travel and Hospitality Outlook survey revealed that gross hotel bookings increased from $116 billion to $185 billion from 2009 to 2017. But to cash in on that profit, you need to have the right tools to manage your hotels.
Read on to brush up on the ins-and-outs of one of the must-have technologies for efficient hotel management — a property management system.
The new age of property management systems
Property management systems have evolved over the years. More than just helping with booking reservations and guest check-in and check-out, the technology now does much more to help streamline a hotel’s manual tasks.
- Revenue management: Automatically adjust your rates across different channels, including your booking engines and online travel agents (OTAs).
- Website booking engine: For guests that book directly on your site, make sure the booking process is seamless. Property management systems turn your website into a free booking channel to convert website visitors into guests.
- Global distribution. A property management system enables you to access OTAs like Expedia and Hotel.com. The opportunity to connect with OTAs and global distribution systems boosts your chances of marketing your hotel to travelers all over the world.
How to choose the right property management system
Choosing the most suitable property management systems means your hotel runs more efficiently, saves on costs, and improves your guests’ experience.
If you’re just starting the search, here are a few of the must-haves to help you find the best solution for your hotel.
- Training and support: You know that the hospitality industry never sleeps. So, choose a PMS with 24/7 support. Look for a system with online training and a dedicated support team for any of your questions.
- Integrations: Without proper integration with your existing systems, you’ll miss out on the efficiencies of a property management system. Point of sale (POS) and payroll are some of the software your property management system should sync with.
- Set up time: Before choosing the right property management system, ask for a demo to find out how easy and intuitive it is. Bonus: get your staff to try out the product to ensure adoption.
- Security: A security breach could be disastrous for your hotel. When choosing the right property management system, ensure your guests’ data (especially credit cards and other financial information) will be encrypted.
- Reliability. Think about whether the property management system is going to be online 100% of the time. Ask about downtime stats and their service provider’s key performance indicators (KPIs) for getting up and running if things go wrong.
Why property management systems are only part of the story
With the right property management system, you’ll ensure your hotel is booked and your guests are happy. Then, use expert staff management software to make sure you have the right staff in place to accommodate your guests — and never worry about someone missing a shift.
Sign up for a free trial to find out why hotels all over of the world use Deputy to manage their staff and scheduling.
The information contained in this article is general in nature and you should consider whether the information is appropriate to your needs. Legal and other matters referred to in this article are of a general nature only and are based on Deputy's interpretation of laws existing at the time and should not be relied on in place of professional advice. Deputy is not responsible for the content of any site owned by a third party that may be linked to this article and no warranty is made by us concerning the suitability, accuracy or timeliness of the content of any site that may be linked to this article. Deputy disclaims all liability (except for any liability which by law cannot be excluded) for any error, inaccuracy, or omission from the information contained in this article and any loss or damage suffered by any person directly or indirectly through relying on this information.